Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Simply Bruschetta and Beyond...

One thing that makes me extremely happy is; saving money and not wasting! That is why, when I find/create a recipe that is versatile, my heart does a happy dance! Bruschetta is one of those recipes I treasure. You can do many things with this simply, delicious little bowl of yummy! Here are a couple of things I do with bruschetta:
*Appetizer-throw it over a fresh sourdough baguette(sliced and toasted)
*Add fresh mozzarella cheese and enjoy
*Remove stem off large portabella mushroom, brush with olive oil, fresh graded Romano cheese and GRILL!
*Panini-stuff a sandwich and grill
*Throw it over some grilled chicken, fish or my Simply Pan-Seared Pork Chops

TIP: Remember, when meal planning for the week and you are looking at a recipe that calls for something like fresh basil...Choose to make another meal sometime that week(like Capellini Pomodoro) that calls for that ingredient. Save money and don't waste! Don't you love it? 
So here is my easy and fresh

Simply Bruschetta!

2-3 handfuls of organic cherry or grape tomatoes, quarted

10 or so large fresh basil leaves-rolled and chopped into thin slices

2 cloves fresh minced garlic(you lose almost ALL health benefits when buying garlic in the jar*)

1 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Olive Oil-I drizzle this over a little at a time until I get what my taste buds like...DON'T overkill with the oil...remember a little goes a long way!

Sea Salt** or Pink Himalayan Salt***

Crushed Pepper to taste


*When you mince, or crush fresh garlic from a whole clove, the garlic releases an enzyme called allicin, which kills over 20 types of bacteria! Taking a pill, or buying pre-crushed garlic will still give you a little of the great health benefits, but stick with whole cloves to receive maximum benefit!!! I am excited to write a post on garlic soon! 


**When adding salt to any tomato dish, use very small amounts...tomatoes are naturally salty and usually only need a very small amount to bring out the great natural taste of tomatoes!


***Great info on why certain salt is GOOD FOR YOU!!! FYI-I do not buy Dr. Mercola's Himalayan Salt, I get mine from good ol' Trader Joes!!! Dr. Mercola's website is a GREAT resource for health! I am constantly going there and searching to find what are real health benefits and what is just "media/industry driven hype!" 


Now go experiment, enjoy, and be encouraged that your efforts to eat healthy will pay off!

No comments:

Post a Comment